Here is an expanded list of the various resources mentioned throughout Hiking Vancouver eBook. These links are monitored and updated periodically. If a link is broken in the book, it will be updated here.
- Adventure Smart Trip Planner – Checklist to prepare you for each trip
- B.C. Parks Backcountry Reservations – Website for reserving B.C. Parks campsites
- B.C. Provincial Parks – Official website for B.C. Parks
- B.C. Parks Bear Safety– Additional bear safety information
- B.C. Environmental Stewardship Div. Cougar Safety – Additional cougar safety information
- Canadian Avalanche Centre – Avalanche safety information and avalanche bulletins
- Hiking Guidebooks – Curated list of local hiking guidebooks and other local books
- Lyme Disease – Health Canada information on Lyme
- Translink – Information on local public transportation/ bus times
- Outdoor Vancouver – Author’s website on outdoor pursuits in Vancouver
- Vancouver Sunrise and Sunset Times
- Vancouver Trails – More info on local trails
- 105 Hikes in Southwestern BC – Stephen Hui
- 109 Walks In BC’s Lower Mainland – Mary & David Macaree
- Easy Cycling Around Vancouver: Fun Day Trips for All Ages – Jean Cousins
- Vancouver Trail Running – Rich Wheater
- Backpacking in Southwestern BC – Taryn Eton
- 52 Best Day Trips from Vancouver – Jack Christie
- Trees & Shrubs of British Columbia – Christopher Brayshaw
- Plants of Coastal British Columbia – Andy MacKinnon
- Waterfalls of B.C.: A Guide to BC’s 100 Best Falls
- Outdoor Vancouver Bookstore – A great collection of local outdoor books.
The Ten Essentials
The Ten Essentials are a MUST for any outing:
- Flashlight, spare batteries and bulb
- Firemaking kit – waterproof matches/lighter, firestarter/candle
- Signaling device – whistle or mirror to signal searchers if you become lost
- Extra food and water – 1 litre/person
- Extra clothing (rain, wind, water protection and toque)
- Navigational/ Communication Aids (maps, compass, GPS, charts, cellular phone, satellite phone, hand held radio – fully charged battery) – know how to use them
- First Aid kit – know how to use it
- Emergency shelter – orange tarp or large orange garbage bag. These can also be used as signaling devices
- Pocket knife
- Sun protection (sunglasses, sunscreen, sun hat)
Recommended Online Gear Retailers
- Amazon – Amazon has a lot of great hiking and camping products. We’ve compiled an Outdoor Vancouver store on Amazon of our favorite gear available there.
- Altitude Sports. Free Shipping On Orders Over $49.99. Hassle-free returns.
- Arc’teryx – Arc’teryx is a technical high-performance outerwear and equipment company. Free shipping on all orders.
- Backroad Mapbooks. Backroad Mapbooks is Canada’s top-selling outdoor recreation guidebook series. Get free standard shipping on all GPS maps with code BRMBFREESHIP.
- Columbia Sportswear Canada. Columbia has a great reputation for winter coats and gear. Shipping is a flat $7 within Canada.
- Epic Water Filters. Water filtration for your next outdoor adventure (or at home). Free shipping in Canada.
- Helly Hansen. Free shipping on orders over $100.
- Hillsound Equipment. Canadian designer of hiking crampons for safe travel on ice + snow, waterproof gaiters and ultra lightweight seats. Free shipping on orders over $49.
- Hurley. Born from water, Hurley was founded in Huntington Beach in 1999 on the principle of empowering and fueling the voice of the next generation.
- The Last Hunt. TheLastHunt.com is Canada’s only website uniquely dedicated to discount outdoor clothing and equipment.
- Mountain Equipment Co-op. MEC is a retail co-op that sells exclusively to members. Free shipping on orders over $50.
- Mountain Hardwear. Mountain Hardwear is an industry leader in premium outdoor apparel, equipment, and accessories. Shipping is a flat $7 within Canada.
- Mountain Wearhouse. Mountain Warehouse is a British outdoor retailer selling equipment for hiking, camping, skiing, cycling, running and fitness. Free shipping over $99
- Patagonia. Patagonia is a designer of outdoor clothing and gear for the silent sports: climbing, surfing, skiing and snowboarding, fly fishing, and trail running.
- prAna. Yoga clothing for positive change. Free shipping on all orders.
- PRFO Sports. A leading action sports retailer in Canada. Carrying over 200 brands related to mountain biking, snowboarding, skiing, skateboarding, technical apparel & accessories. Free shipping on orders over $50.
- Running Room. The Running Room is truly a store for runners by runners. Free Curbside Pick-up or Free Economy Ground Shipping on orders $50+
- Salomon Canada. Snowboarding, trail running and hiking clothes & shoes.
- STORMTECH Performance Apparel. Highly technical outdoor apparel and accessories for men, women and children. Flat $15 shipping.
- Solo Stove. We design simple, ingenious outdoor products to help you create good moments that become lasting memories. Free standard shipping and returns on all orders in Canada.
- Sorel Footwear. $7 flat rate shipping on premium footwear.
- Yeti Canada. In 2006, YETI Coolers was founded with a simple mission: build the cooler you’d use every day if it existed. YETI offers free Ground shipping on qualified orders.